Monday 4 February 2013

Super Bowl 2013 Nail Design!

Not a big fan of football? That's okay! These nails are just a fun little tribute to one of the most watched sports events of the year.
 
This year I spent Super Bowl Sunday at work, but a lot of people noticed and commented on my football themed nails!

This design is actually really easy because of the simple design and the minimal amount of colours used.

To start I came up with a list of different iconic symbols related to football. After I chose the ones I wanted to paint, I drew them on a piece of paper. I often do that before I start painting my nails because I like to have a plan. I am also not the best artist, so if I can't draw it with a pen then I probably can't paint it. For this design I chose to paint:


Referee stripes
  • This was the easiest to paint. Do 2 coats of white polish to get the colour solid. Then with a thin brush or toothpick, create a few black lines. 
Football
  • Also very easy. Paint your full nail brown, then when dry, add the laces pattern in white! This could also be done with a thin brush or a toothpick.
50 yard line
  • Paint the full nail a grassy green colour. Add a white line down the middle of the nail and write a '5' and a '0' on either side.
Goal post
  • Paint the full nail blue. Once that is completely dry, add some green at the tip of your nail for the grass. Then take your thin brush or toothpick and create the shape of the goal post in the middle of the nail.
And the NFL logo.
  • Compared to the other nails, this one is by far the hardest and most time consuming. I started by painting my whole nail white and waiting for that to dry completely. Then I used a blue Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen to create the design. If you haven't used one of these pens before, I would not recommend it. The concept is good, but the pens are flawed. The polish comes out of the tip of the pen very thin so it doesn't offer very good coverage and smudges very easily. Without a top coat it rubes off within a few hours after application. In order to release the polish from the pen you have to push down on the tip. If your not careful, I huge rush of polish can be released all at once. Since that happens to me quite often, I usually put a blob on a piece of paper and use a toothpick to create the design. After the blue was done I filled in the letters with Red Art Deco Nail polish.

Finish off your nails with a top coat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment