Thursday 31 January 2013

Galaxy Nail Design

 
Over the past few weeks I kept seeing these really cool galaxy nails on Pinterest and I decided that I needed to try them out. They were much easier than I had expected and I am thrilled with the final results!
To complete this design you will need a variety of nail polish colours, a makeup sponge, tweezers, and a toothpick.









Start off by painting your nails black. I used a black polish called Razzle Dazzler from the Nicole by OPI collection. Two coats should do it! Make sure it is dry completely before you begin the designs.

Rip up small pieces of the makeup sponge. This will be used to apply the different colours of the galaxy to get them to blend together and give is a very whimsical look. To apply the colours simply hold the small pieces of the sponge with the tweezers so its easy to control and apply the paint to the sponge. From there you just dab the sponge on your nail until you like what you see!




To start of my galaxy I applied swooping lines of Moonstone by Sally Hanson with a small piece of sponge and repeated on all my nails.





 







Then I added a gold colour (Guilty Pleasure by Sally Hanson) over top parts of it to make it stand out a little more.












 

Then to add some depth and mystery to my galaxy I added some purple (Di-vine Is Divine, Nicole by OPI) and green (Jumpin' Jade, Sally Hanson Insta-Dry). I applied it with the sponge onto the galaxy line in a very spotty pattern.

 Then I sponged on another coat of gold over top to make them blend together. I found out afterwards that the gold coat I had done before was not really necessary. But that is the beauty of this design, its so forgiving! Your given a lot of freedom to add your own colours and alter it to your ability.



 

The next step was to add some stars. I did this my apply a light coat of blue sparkles along the galaxy line. I used Blue Mosaic by Revlon. I liked it because it has both large and small size sparkles in it which made it look like there were small and large stars. The sparkles in the polish were mainly blue and some silver. I would have preferred for them all to be silver for this design, but I'm not too picky.







 


Next I used a toothpick to make small white dots on my galaxy to make more stars.

Finish it off with a top coat and you have some nails that are out of this world!






1 comment:

  1. Expect to see Kate’s go-to hues such as classic reds and cool blues in the anticipated nail range. foils

    ReplyDelete